Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Busy, busy, busy

Hey there!

My apologies for my lack of recent posts--I am so busy!

Before I get back to my business, I just want to share with you all some of the other great experiences I had these past two weeks:

On Saturday the 24th, the first-semester MTs were told by the seniors to gather in front of the dorms at 10pm. All in anticipation of what to come, we waited until a line of cars drove up beside us, only to release the senior MTs with blindfolds in hands. As you can assume, we were all blindfolded and then kidnapped to a house party somewhere on central campus. We sat (or stood, in my case) and waited to take off our blindfolds until we were told to do so. When we did, standing before us were our senior buddies (with gifts)! Apparently, it is UMich MT tradition to set up the incoming students with their very own senior buddies. My buddy is the fantastic Sam Lips!

                                      Kidnapped! (L to R: Kyle Timson, Me, Alex Fragoso)

The rest of the night the seniors told us stories from their freshman year, and then we proceeded to dance and party! It was a great time and I was so happy to get to know my buddy.

The next day, I was invited to the School of Music, Theatre and Dance's Annual Scholarship Showcase, where the students who receive scholarship to attend UMich got to see some of their fellow scholarship classmates perform in a recital. Actually, my senior buddy, Sam, got to perform! He and another senior MT--Daniel Berryman--performed "The Riddle Song" from Adam Guettel's musical, Floyd Collins. It was beyond words. The rest of the recital was quite impressive, and I was simply blown away. I couldn't (and still can't) believe that I am part of such a prestigious program alongside such skilled and talented performers. I was thrilled to be there, and it only got better--I got to meet my donors! The people who made it possible for me to attend UMich were also there, and I got to eat dinner with them. Their names are Bob and Pearson Macek, and they are delightful. I had a wonderful time getting to know them, and I can't wait to be able to get to know them even better throughout the years.

 
The Scholarship Showcase Dinner (L to R: Sam Lips [my buddy!], Me, Bob Macek, Chelsea Wilson, Keith Allen, and Pearson Macek)

Skipping ahead past the homework and household duties and such, last Friday I got to see the desginer run of UMich's upcoming musical production of David Yazbek's The Full Monty which opens one week from this upcoming Thursday. Once again, I was quite humbled to watch my fellow MTs perform. Sam is in it as well, and he does an excellent job just like the rest of the cast. I am so excited to be a part of this production since I am operating the light board; however, if any of you know The Full Monty, you know how BIG of a responsibility that is...and how much nerve-wracking pressure comes along with it!  (If you don't know the show, the basic gist is that these 6 guys decide to become strippers in order to make quick money during hard times of unemployment. With no experience, they find a way to bring it together and even add a twist--they strip completely nude. In order to cover up this nudity, a bright flash of light is shone on the audience before going to black. It is just about the most important cue in the entire show, and it seems to be cursed--even the original Broadway production had its glitches. And guess who has the honor of taking this job? Yours truly.)

                                                        Poster for The Full Monty

Today I actually got to learn how to operate the light board at work, and tomorrow I start teching the show! Wish me broken legs--LOTS of them!

That's it for now. Have to get some rest before Ballet in the morning. Hopefully these next three weeks won't be too hectic that I can't write another blog. [Who am I kidding? I'll be back in three weeks.]

Until next time,

R

1 comment: