Monday, September 5, 2011

Yeah, I go to school at the University of Michigan. No biggie.

My goal for today was to catch you all up on what I didn't get to blog about last week when my internet was not working. But things have changed.

After a crazy orientation week and an eventful weekend, I woke up this Labor Day morning to make my way to the first full-department musical theatre meeting at the Power Center Rehearsal Room in Central Campus.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Over 80 MTs were welcoming/greeting/reconnecting with each other in ONE ROOM. The energy was insane. People knew my name and I knew maybe 3...

Just as Mr. Brent Wagner was starting the meeting off--BAM! Out come the MT Seniors, class of '12, BURSTING with song and dance. The performance was stunning and hugely entertaining.

Afterwards--and I am going to apologize now for the lack of proper expression for how incredible this news is--Mr. Wagner informed all of us of the mind-blowing events that are to come this 28th year of the Musical Theatre program at UMich.

Among the many guests to come: Audra McDonald, Jessye Norman, Jane Fonda, Danny Gurwin (who we had the extreme pleasure of meeting today), Pasek & Paul, Gavin Creel, ETC.

Did I mention that the incoming class will be performing alongside Pasek & Paul and Gavin Creel? Yeah.

UN-BE-LIEVABLE things are happening this year, and to hear all of this news at once was so overwhelming that many of us felt like we didn't even deserve it. I was so shocked--there are just no words to justfiy just how incredible it is to be an MT here at UMich. Not only that, but our new class was welcomed by the upperclassmen with open arms and cheers. I am now part of one HUGE family of talent. And coming from a family of 7, that already says ALOT.

I am so proud to say that I am in the best program at the best school. I made it.

Now, it's time to make the best of it. Classes begin tomorrow--bringt it on!

-R


No comments:

Post a Comment